Chojnik Castle, Jelenia Góra, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, Poland
There are hypotheses that the first assumption defense was at the top of the Chojnik castle Bobrzan tribe. Certainly in the second half of the thirteenth century, Boleslaw Bald-Bald erected a hunting manor with defensive characteristics, which at the end of the thirteenth century and expanded it Bolko Raw. When the power in the Duchy of Swidnica and Jawor Bolko II came, he created a powerful empire, which during his reign many castles strengthened. In his time, probably about 1355 years, built the castle in Chojnik replacing the earlier court. On top of the rocky sloping south vertical wall of stone fortress was established, though small size is by its position extremely difficult to obtain.
The western part of the irregular quadrilateral assumptions occupied residential building and the east – a huge round tower. A small courtyard from the north and south defended strong walls. The whole was built of stone. After the death of Bolko II his widow Duchess Agnieszka gave the castle in 1392 years subsequent progenitor powerful Silesian family – Gotsche Schoffowi. The castle remained with a short break in the hands of Schaffgotsch to the end of its existence. Gotsche Schoff existing buildings enriched in 1405 year chapel św.Jerzego and St. Catherine, which was placed over the entrance gate in the bay of red sandstone (recently partially rebuilt). During the Hussite wars Schaffgotsches, with a foothold in the inaccessible fortress followers looted trade route merchants and local people. Even in the fifteenth century castle was well developed. From the north-east of the vast castle was built irregularly shaped bottom, which occupied mainly utility rooms. At the southern wall was the kitchen, to the east of the castle housing the crew, the wall north-east and further basement courtroom. At the center of the courtyard, the lower castle was erected a stone pillory.
Castle never owned the well and the water collected in cisterns rock, first on the upper castle, then another was on the lower area of the castle. In the first half of the sixteenth century the next expansion. It was created when the third courtyard surrounded by walls adjacent to the western wall of the lower castle. The northern part of the new land occupied apartment commandant of the castle, erected on the new courtyard of the stables, and in the northern corner of the dungeon tower was starvation. In the new part was another water tank. Probably during the expansion of the castle walls crowned all Renaissance attic in the shape of half circles. In 1560, the north side of the whole complex was built extensive bastion. Thirty Years’ War meant that the castle strengthened from the easiest access and additional fortifications gate. When in 1634 beheaded Jana Ulryka von Schaffgotsch, the castle was confiscated by the emperor, but in 1649 it was returned to the former owners. They did not move their permanent headquarters here. August 31, 1675 when the castle was burned down by lightning bolts have not been taken already rebuilding. Abandoned fort fell into disrepair.
1822 years we established here willingly visited by tourists-patients hostel, which operates today. Legend has it that the princess lived here Cunegonde, daughter of the owner of the castle. Her whim was that a candidate for her husband toured on horseback in full armor castle walls. Long time no one has succeeded, and the subsequent heroes died falling into the abyss. Once he arrived at the castle knight from Krakow, who made this breakneck feat, but when enchanted princess offered him his hand – rejected her efforts and drove off. Humiliated and unwanted lady threw herself into the abyss from the walls of which were falling heroes sent by her to death. To this day, supposedly you can see the spirit of one of the knights who horseback tours castle walls on moonlit nights.
Visit Poland. Epic Poland Adventure Route © All Rights Reserved | Monika & Simon Newbound 2017